Info on the Arcade Version of Bionic Commando
Here's a detailed description of the Arcade version of Bionic Commando (called Top Secret in Japan) courtesy of Metool.
You are a lone soldier sent in behind enemy lines to infiltrate the base of the evil "General" who has created an army and is manufacturing weapons of destruction. There are 5 stages to pass.
Click on the image to see a larger version
- Stage 1: Jungle - Fight your way through the jungle to the cliff where the enemy base is. Avoid soldiers, beehives, and man-made mutant flying creatures as you make your way up the trees onto the cliff. Try not to wake the sleeping guards or they will try and pound you to the ground.
- Stage 2: The Outer Wall - Make your way into the base through one of the garages. Avoid cannons and soldiers and climb to the top. At the garage you'll have to take out two toughs who will throw metal blocks at you.
- Stage 3: The Sewers and Bio-Lab - Move through the sewers past the bio-lab and robot factory. Avoid mutant sewer-rats, soldiers in mech-suits, and the arms and legs of half-assembled robots as you make your way to the two commanders. Take them out to get to the next stage.
- Stage 4: Central Base - Climb the towers in the central base while avoiding mech-soldiers and mini-copters. You'll need to be well practiced on your swinging abilities to make it to the top and take out the three commanders of the area.
- Stage 5: The Power Core (Final Stage) - Climb up a missile silo to the central core.
Destroy the Power Core and make your escape while avoiding soldiers,
mech-suits, and mini-copters. Climb out of the base to get outside and
take out the two commanders and the General who are waiting up there
behind their army of soldiers.
The game plays very differently from the NES and Gameboy versions. The controls are:
- Joystick: use to move Left, Right, Up and Down.
- Fire button: Fires the gun you have (several different alternate guns can be found throughout the game)
- Arm Button: Use to fire the Bionic Arm. The arm can be used to climb or to knock down enemies, temporarily stunning them. Up + Arm fires the arm up, Down + Arm ducks and fires the arm, Diagonal Up + Arm fires the arm at an angle to swing on platforms. Forward or no movement + Arm fires the arm out straight ahead.
The game is straightforward, compared to the console versions, but not easy. After a very short time, you will end up being assaulted by hoards of enemies. There are also places in several stages where you can take a wrong turn and end up at a dead end so that you'll have to turn around and go back.
Back to Other Versions Page